Proper estate planning will ensure that your long-term wishes are effectively carried out.  The attorneys at Pettit & Spontak, PLLC will work with you to determine how to best address State and Federal inheritance tax issues and provide for future generations.  Generally, one or more of the following will be recommended:

  • Will: A will is a document containing your instructions and wishes as to how your property and assets are to be distributed after your death.  Additionally, the will typically names an Executor/Executrix who will handle the administration of your estate through the probate process.
  • Trust:  A trust is established by a grantor to hold property for a beneficiary or beneficiaries.  In connection with trust formation, a trustee is assigned to manage the trust assets in accordance with the grantor’s instructions.  A trust can be established for many reasons including holding property for a minor until the age of majority, and for a host of tax purposes.
  • Advance Directive/Healthcare Power of Attorney:  This document will elect a health care agent to make health and personal care decisions for you in the event that you lack sufficient capacity to do so for yourself.  Additionally, this document will allow you to make decisions concerning your health care and plan for the possibility that you lack the capacity to make or communicate your treatment decisions.
  • HIPPA Authorization:  This document will allow healthcare providers to release your medical information and records to your health care agent in order to facilitate care if you are unable to do so.
  • Financial Power of Attorney:  This document will designate an agent to handle your property and accounts if you are unable to do so on your own behalf.

Additionally, if you have been named in a will as the Executor or Executrix, Pettit & Spontak, LLC can represent you in the probate process and guide you through the administration of the estate.  Likewise, if you have been or would like to be appointed as the administrator of the estate of an individual that dies intestate (without a will), we can work with you to be appointed by the Court and help you through the intestate administration.

Contact us for a consultation.